Mar 23, 2012
When the economy falls into a slump, it is inevitable that many people will lose their jobs. This can be a scary time as people look for ways to pay their bills. Large layoffs often mean people may be out of work for a long time. During these difficult times, there is often a concern about maintaining and acquiring new job skills. By taking a temp job, people can maintain and improve current skills while supplementing their income.
- A temp job is a job in which you work for a short period of time at various businesses. When there is increasing unemployment, an employer who cannot pay a full time worker will often turn to temp agencies to find an employee to work on a part time basis or for a short period of time. Research shows that workers who take temp jobs do better in the labor market and those working for temp agencies have a higher chance of working for higher-wage companies.
The following list outlines how temp jobs create and maintain essential job skills:
- During long periods of unemployment, people will often not be able to learn new job skills or maintain their current skills. Employers prefer workers who have polished skills and fresh experience. Most temporary agencies prefer their workers to be up to date on all work skills so they can send them out ready to work on the first day. To maintain their workers job skills and keep them up to date on new skills, they will provide skill training sessions.
- Gaining employment through temporary work allows a person to be exposed to a variety of work environments. Different businesses require different work skills therefore a temp will learn new skills while maintaining their current level of experience. The more experience a worker has, the more valuable they become to a business.
They can add these new skills to their resume which will improve their chances of getting a full time job. For instance, the computer field is constantly changing. Temping at various computer orientated businesses will help workers improve their skills while they are searching for a full time job.
- More businesses are realizing that they require highly skilled employees in specialized areas that can include administration support, accounting, and information technology. They tend to turn to temp workers because there skills are current. If they are happy with the temp, they will often offer them a full time position.
- Temporary agencies can also help people who are less skilled. Less skilled workers will have access to training and on-the-job experience. This will provide a path to stable employment that they might not have had if they had chosen not to work with an agency.
- Today’s temp agencies are set up with the most current computer technology. They have the most recent computers, programs, and software. Workers can improve many skills by taking such tests and training programs as administration typing, math, spelling, office and accounting software programs, and much more. Workers can also schedule interviews and appointments using an online system. There are also software tutorials to help workers improve their resumes
During times of high unemployment, temping is one area that stays constant. Temping is a great way to maintain an income while improving job skills. For people with the right experience and attitude, temping may be the solution they need to boost their career ambitions.
By Amy Nutt